prof. Andrzej Rottermund
Honorary Citizen of Warsaw since 18th June 2020
Born in 1941 in Warsaw. Graduated from the University of Warsaw in 1964, where he obtained his doctoral and postdoctoral degrees, and in 1990 was conferred the title of Professor of Humanities. Author of over 100 books, articles and essays, mainly concerning 18th and 19th century art. Specialises in early-modern and 19th century art and culture, links between art and courtly ceremonies, the works of Bernardo Bellotto, known as Canaletto, the history of Warsaw’s architecture, particularly the Royal Castle, museum theory, history of collecting, and museum architecture.
A corresponding member of the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Warsaw Scientific Society. Formerly, Deputy Director of the National Museum in Warsaw, President of the Association of Art Historians and the Deputy Minister of Culture and Art. Current Member of the Polish National Commission for UNESCO.
In 1991-2015 Director of the Royal Castle in Warsaw. His efforts and dedication led to the renovation and opening to visitors of the Kubicki Arcades and the restoration of Podzamcze area buildings, housing the castle’s storehouses, conservation studios and administration offices. The works also involved decorating the castle interiors and designing the Lower Gardens, which were completely revitalised in 2019, making the restoration of this monarchy residence complete and serving as a symbolic closure for the whole rebuilding effort of the Old Town.
Decorated with the Grand Cross, the Commander’s Cross and the Officer’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta Also awarded the Gold Medal for Merit to Culture – Gloria Artis and The City of Warsaw Award.