Prelate Wacław Karłowicz (born 15 September 1907, died 8 December 2007)
Honorary Citizen of Warsaw from June 2006
Resolution of the Council of the Capital City of Warsaw No. LXXVI/2331/ 2006 of 13 June 2006
Nickname: ks. Andrzej Bobola - Polish catholic priest, at the moment of his death – the oldest Chaplain Priest of the Warsaw Uprising, head of the Chaplains of Fighting Poland, Prelate, Papal Chamberlain, Curator of National Remembrance, was given priestly ordination on 31 January 1932 at the hands of Stanisław Gall. He became a religion teacher in schools. As a vicar, he served in the parishes of Babice (1932-1933), Holy Trinity Parish in Kobyłka (1933-1934), Assumption of Mary Parish in Łowicz and Saint Andrew Parish in Warsaw-Mirów. After the outbreak of World War II, he participated in the Battle of Warsaw. He was the catechist for the underground education in state schools as well as in professional courses in companies. He collaborated with the AK Field Curia. A contact point for underground Warsaw-London couriers was organised in his apartment. During the uprising of the Warsaw, as the chaplain of the “Gustaw-Antoni” battalion, he cooperated in the foundation of the largest uprising hospital during the Old City battles, in the buildings adjacent to the church in 7 Długa Street. Afterwards, to the end of the war, he resided in Babice. In 1947, along with other chaplains from the war period, he founded and took charge of an informal union named Priests - former Chaplains of Fighting Poland. During the socialism era in Poland, he founded the Saint Wanceslaus Parish in Warsaw-Gocławek, and served there as parish-priest. On 29 August 1967 he gained the right to wear rochet and mantelet. In 1979, together with Stefan Melak, he established the Underground Katyń Committee. He initiated the construction of the first monument in Poland devoted to the victims of the Katyń massacre, which was erected in Warsaw-Powązki in 1981. Until 1989 he organized patriotic masses on every uprising anniversary and national holidays. In 1995 he initiated the founding of “Olszynka Grochowska Association”, which demanded giving due honours to the ground on which the Battle of Olszynka Grochowska took place. Recipient of the Officer’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta, and then on 22 May 2007 – the Commander’s Cross with Star of the Order of Polonia Restituta. In 1999, he was honoured by the Council of the Capital City of Warsaw with the title “Distinguished in Service for the City of Warsaw”, on 19 June 2007 he received the prestigious title of “Curator of National Remembrance” in the Warsaw Royal Castle. On 17 September 2007 the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, Kazimierz Michał Ujazdowski, decorated him with the highest award, granted in the field of culture – The Gold Medal for Merit to Culture – Gloria Artis.