Lucjan Żeligowski, (born 17 October 1865 – died 9 July 1947)
Honorary Citizen of Warsaw since October 1920.
General of arms, military commander. He was born in Nieśwież. Son of Gustaw, an insurrectionist from 1863, and Władysława of Traczewscy. In 1885 joined the Russian Army. He participated in the Russo-Japanese war in the years 1904-1905. During the 1st World War he was in command of an infantry regiment. After the February Revolution in 1917 he was one of the organisers of the Polish Army in Russia. First he commanded a brigade in the 1st Polish Corps, and in 1918 he established Polish units in Kubań. In April 1919 he returned to Poland as the leader of the 4th Polish Rifle Division.
He was a friend of Józef Piłsudski, and in the Polish Army he first commanded the Lithuanian-Belarusian Front, and afterwards the operational group. He also was the commander of the 10th Infantry Division in the Polish-Russian war. From October 1920 he commanded the 1st Lithuanian-Belarusian Division.
In the years 1921-1925 he was an Army Inspector in Warsaw, and then in the years 1925—1926 the Minister for military matters. In 1923 he was promoted to the rank of General of Arms. He supported the May Coup carried out by Józef Piłsudski. In 1927 he retired from the army. In 1930 he published a book entitled “War in 1920 – memories and considerations”. As a civilian he participated in the Defence War in 1939 under the command of the Southern Front, and after that he managed to get to France, and in 1940 to Great Britain. He was a member of the National Council of the Republic of Poland. After the end of the war, he declared his return to the country, but during preparations for the journey he died on 9 July 1947 in London. According to the will of the deceased, his body was carried to Warsaw and buried in the Military Cemetery in Powązki. He was awarded, inter alia, the Commander’s Cross and the Silver Cross of Virtuti Militari, the Great Cross of the Polish Revival Medal, the Independence Cross, and four times the Cross of Valour. From October 1920 he was an Honorary Citizen of the Capital City of Warsaw.